Community Home Part 1 – Text Chapter 1 – Principles of Miracles Day 7 : Cameo 4: “An Example of the Shock Effect”

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Perry 1 week, 1 day ago.

Day 7 : Cameo 4: “An Example of the Shock Effect”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Martha Lindstrom
    Martha Lindstrom
    CC Student

Thank you for the commentary. Funnily, it still amazes me when The Course fits so perfectly into my daily life, especially since it happens so often!

Do you have any further examples of “the shock effect”? I would like to try it in our homeschool room.

Robert Perry
    CC Student

Thank you, Martha! I don’t know if I can think of any more examples of the shock effect (though I homeschooled my firstborn for a couple of years and I could have definitely used it there!). However, I can try to identify the essence. What Jesus did was put before Helen not a straight teaching, but a riddle that looked impenetrable and that was certainly surprising, given that he had only been giving straight teaching up until then. In the face of riddles like that, a lot of us just give up. But there are some whose minds are really engaged by something like that. So the “shock effect” seems to be something you place before the student that both surprises and engages them. It’s out of left field and their minds almost can’t not get into gear with it. If you stay with that basic concept, a suitable example may well pop into your mind sometime soon.

Kevin Donohue
    CC Student

As a teacher I pay attention to how a Master teaches. This is an interesting example and it made me pay attention. You say he gives up after Chapter 3. Why do you think this is? I am also watching for how he unteaches which was a big part of the Course and source of confusion for me. He introduces the term Christ in principal 19 which is used very differently than probably Helen and definitely I understand it. Most of the traditional Christian terms are used in almost opposite ways which was very confusing for me at first. Forgiveness comes particularly to mind. As Helen took dictation she did not have the advantage of the definition of terms at the back. The reteaching of these terms is done subtly. What are your thoughts on how this was taught?

Robert Perry
    CC Student

You know, Kevin, so much of the Course is like that–really important things said in an implicit way, not spelled out. It almost makes you think that he knew that people would study this seriously for years and then pass on to others the fruits of that. I’ve always thought that the Course was written with that kind of a system in mind, where scholars would research and pass on their results to teachers who would pass on their teaching to students. I’m sure that’s not the whole answer to your question, but I suspect it’s part of it.

Skye Hitchcock
    CC Student

The gift I have received today is to feel into what Jesus is asking of me with these teachings. I feel I am being asked to align with Him. To humbly approach the altar of God with empty hands and a willing committed heart. To accept the Truth of what I am, to stay with Him and rely on His strength and support. To know I am not alone. To Love my brothers and sisters with all my heart and being so I may learn to Love and be True to myself. To forgive what I thought I did but what never was. With Jesus and my brothers, I will make it. Much Love xo

Robert Perry
    CC Student

That sounds like quite a gift–or rather, so many gifts–that you received, Skye.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.